work lunches can be fun


Hubcap has the distinction of being consistently in Houston’s top burgers list. I believe it’s currently in the top on various Yelp, Chron.com and Houston Press lists. It’s only open for lunch I believe, so it became the first burger that I invited my work team to join me. The place itself is tiny, covered in hubcaps (you’re surprised, I know) and seemed to have a steady supply of people coming and going. It’s next to the Aldean hotel downtown so it was amusing to see the posh décor of their restaurant (17) next to this low slung green building. It’s a cash only type of joint, and the menu seems to have a few rotating ‘special’s that are listed on a sheet of paper tacked under the regular menu board. Everything is cooked when you order it, so expect to wait a bit.

I got the Greek burger (feta, olives, veggies and meat). I had thought about going all in and trying the sticky burger (comes complete with peanut butter?!) but I figured I should try something a little more classic and save the unique burgers for another day. As I had a full afternoon back at the office, I opted to share fries with one of my coworkers to keep the carb coma to minimum.
Waiting for the burger to arrive was a bit of a brutal exercise. We had sat outside, and as other people’s meat and bread creations came out it only increased the rumbling in my tummy. I had waited far too long to go to lunch. Finally our table started getting their meals.

First the fries- Simply tasty. I can’t say they are ‘the best’ fries I’ve ever had, I doubt I will ever be able to make that claim because of how many different fries I just love. But Hupcap does a great job, crispy and fluffy inside and they hold up well even as they cool. Nothing is worse than starting into a side of fries and being in heaven, only to get sad as they get cold and soggy. They are the ‘skin on’ type, and fried to a medium brown – no pale blonde fries here. I must say my work team raved over these fries. In fact, it might be safe to say that was the highlight of their meals.

And finally, the burger. They arrive on disposable plates (this is a dive after all) but don’t let that fool you. The buns appear to be homemade and really bring something extra, served warm and with a little crisp. I imagine they go on the grill before topping off the sandwich. It held up well through the end of the meal, and also stayed soft after a day of being in the fridge (I’ll admit I brought half of this one home). The meat itself is good, not overly seasoned but it does a good job of letting the freshness of the beef shine through. The patty was cooked all the way through, but it remained juicy. I was happy with my toppings selection – the feta and olives added the extra seasoning that the meat was missing and provided a bit of tang. The ‘special’ mayo didn’t add much, so next time I’ll probably ask them to leave it off. The lettuce was crisp and there was the ‘just right’ amount, not too little, not too much. All in all a good solid burger.

I’ll definitely have to go back to try the sticky burger and to get more of those awesome fries. Hubcap, you might not be the top of the list, but you’ve got a fan!


4 Stars

Hubcap Grill
1111 Prairie - Houston, TX 77002

Popular posts from this blog

a date night burger

my gut runneth over

Christmas in March?