the round and round

Ah election time. Brings out the best in people, right? Hardly.

Everyone has opinions and thank goodness we live in America where that’s not only accepted, it’s encouraged…or is it? I think these days we walk a fine line, it’s such a thin tight rope I’m certain it’s bound to break soon, if it hasn’t already.

I know that I’m pretty strong in my opinions; they are based on my beliefs. The reality of this is that, if you have different beliefs you just may come to a different choice. Imagine that, right? I know that I’ll never change someone’s mind that has a different set of core values than me and to be frank, I don’t care. I chose my friends carefully, I wan t those that lift me up, make my life better and that I truly enjoy. The honest truth is that if you don’t think like me (at least a little bit) we’re probably not really good friends. Now that doesn’t mean I don’t respect others. We all make our own choices, we want different things and have different goals. That’s cool as long as you’re happiness doesn’t ruin mine. You want to do drugs and sit at home? Fine, just don’t get in your car and kill me or my family, and don’t expect a dime from me. Live and let live, just don’t bother me.

Sadly, there seem to be those out there that don’t agree. I’m exhausted by the constant berating that goes on by those that have different opinions. What right is it of theirs to not only have their own opinion but believe it’s their God given right to attack mine? (Sidebar: many don’t believe in God, so that’s a whole ‘nother ballgame) If you want to change my mind, educate me on why you think that, why your values are better. I may never agree, but you’ll get much further than just beating me (or anyone else) with ‘you’re wrong and you’re stupid’ attitude.

My values are those that I see more and more being displayed by the core group of Americans. Family values, good work ethics, a ‘get out of my way so I can be successful’ attitude towards government. I just don’t see many people that are excited by erosion – be it in rights or freedoms, the value of their dollar or even the number of those little greenbacks that you actually take home after it’s all said and done. That being said, everything is in balance. The world truly operates economic principles.

Maybe you do have a strong desire to save the environment. Now that priority is pretty high for you, so you let it dictate what you do. You sacrifice money or time or the newest car so that you can do what you can to help. That’s great! You are taking your personal circle of time/money, etc and allotting it based on your own values. Go get ‘em! Here’s the rub. Now you love the environment so much, not only do you want to give of your ‘stuff’, but you think others should too. Ok, I can see that. But you try to get them to do what you do, and they won’t! No matter how nice you act, some people (those fools) just won’t give up their: money, free time, and vacations, whatever. So now what? The next step is to make them do what you want. I mean, you know that if we don’t do something, the world will end. Right? So you push for legislation, you create agencies that make rules that everyone has to follow. YOU TAKE AWAY THEIR RIGHTS TO MAKE THEM ACT THE WAY YOU WANT. See the issue here? I don’t care what you want to do with yourself, as an American it’s your right! But when you start imposing your beliefs on others, you cross the line.

I used the environment b/c of course we all want to keep the earth healthy. No one wants to live in a world where you must wear a gas mask. But like so much ‘settled’ science, there are reports supporting positions across the board out there. We can do everything or nothing and likely end up right where we started. The only difference is the amount of time and money we spent getting there.

As election season kicks off, (if it hasn’t been for weeks now) just remember that. As people we value different things – don’t try to force your opinions on me.

Popular posts from this blog

a date night burger

my gut runneth over

more of miss SJL