Travel is NOT the way

I often wonder what is the way to happiness? I know many things it is not – it’s not money, it’s not fame, it’s not a million friends… but I know there are some small things that go into making one truly happy, without getting into those things I will add one more thing to my list of what is NOT the way to happiness. Work Travel.

I signed myself up for this project, with a fairly hopeful attitude. Those that know me, know this is a struggle (go ahead, laugh). I am very analytical, perhaps the sole reason I decided to become an attorney, and I tear apart everything. I cannot stress the ‘everything’ enough. But after a weighing of the potential benefits, my problems with the alternatives, etc I decided to go for it. I mean, honestly, a few months is not that long.

I was wrong.

I’ve since noticed a few things about myself.

1. I am more of a homebody than I used to think
2. I love alone time
3. I hate, hate, HATE most hotel rooms. (the germs, the random hairs, the questionable carpet, yuck)
4. Life doesn’t happen at the big shin digs on Friday nights, it happens in all the small moments during the week.

Needless to say, I’m working on a way to get off the road. But until then, here are a few ‘fun’ things that have happened along the way…

1. I have the worst luck on flights lately. I was g-chatting with a friend; I think it sums it up nicely.

(2:47:54 PM) AA: yeah, last week the guy next to me - oh man. i almost passed out every time he lifted an arm
(2:48:07 PM) AA: i had a crik in my next from smashing my face against the window
(2:48:16 PM) AA: and by the end of the flight, politeness was gone
(2:48:19 PM) AA: his arm went up
(2:48:23 PM) AA: my shirt went over my nose

There have been bouts of flatulence that I just can’t understand. (Obviously not my own, mind you) We were on row 25 or so, and let’s just say that it got to a point where people would be walking past to go the bathroom would noticeably gag. The abrupt change in their faces never stopped cracking me up.

***La, la, la. Here I go to the bathroom.***
***sniff. Sniff***
***OH GOD, MY NOSE IS BURNING***

It provided some reprieve from the horrors of that flight.

2. Hotel shuttle drivers can be bribed to go somewhere other than just back to the hotel. I’ve learned to leverage them into my personal chauffeur to the liquor store.

3. Some people really do enjoy this life.

I will say this is one of the more disturbing things I have found. It’s much more like ‘Up in the air’ than I ever could have dreamed. Tossing out membership cards to the various reward groups and comparing miles and points like it’s not just the most important thing, but the only thing is common.

I’ve learned to look very interested, wrinkle my brow in thought, and say ‘man, I can only imagine how neat that must be’. If you nod strongly as you say it, it’s believable. Sorta.

4. The weight you can gain on a diet of restaurant food only can be frightening. Trust me on this.

Popular posts from this blog

a date night burger

my gut runneth over

Christmas in March?