A bright spot in a dark time

Ok, that was a bit melodramatic. My thoughts on this burger though are not.

First a quick background

The project team I have been working with has been in Parsippany, NJ a good bit recently. Never heard of it? Well neither had I until I got assigned to this project. Bottom line, it’s a small town in NJ, that while fairly neat and quiet has little to entertain you after a long day at the office. In steps some client employees to invite us to a HH. Game on.

We went to a little shotgun style place called Sona19, it did the trick to alleviate the boredom that night and we also heard about a little restaurant called Urban Table. They had sushi, burgers and good salad? Intriguing.

Fast forward a few weeks and here we are…

In need of some above average grub, we decided to venture to the ‘fun’ town of Morristown. Urban Table faces the square, which is the center (or at least as far as we can tell) of this little metropolis. There was a wait so we attempted to sit at the bar. M was returning from the water closet and saw three barstools together, however as fate would have it, so did a rather manly completely ‘Jersey’ woman and her date. Needless to say, our southern charm made us decide to allow them the liberty of the seats rather than get into something that might end up on E!. A nice gentleman saw our plight, and wrapped up his meal so that we could start ours.
The menu was a bit overwhelming, sushi, soups, salads, burgers, grilled plates – it all looked so good! We enlisted the help of the bartender to sort through the list.

The mac and cheese looked delish (pepper jack and jalapenos) and they had a ‘special’ mac with bacon, blue cheese and squash. It took a bit, but following the logic that we can always have ‘on the menu’ but the special may be gone later – we got the blue cheese and bacon version as a starter. S, M and I all were in different food moods so we ended up ordering a sampling of the menu.

M- Sushi and squash soup
S- Ahi Tuna Salad
Myself – Cheeseburger

The mac and cheese came out, complete with a cute cast iron dish. However, the presentation was quickly forgotten. This mac and cheese was to die for. Period. End of sentence. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. I had no idea that you could put squash in mac and cheese but these creative little devils found a way to take a dense creamy sinful food, and add a lightness to it that was unexpected and a bright fresh flavor that added much to the symphony on my palate. The bacon added a smoky crunch and the blue cheese, while not my favorite cheese added a good tang that just brought it all together. The browned top give it the perfect finishing touch. Oh mac and cheese, I love you.

Having not eaten everyone else’s food – I’ll give my best quick rundown of the rest.

M – The squash soup seemed really creamy and nice, she said the sushi was good, not the best in the world, but definitely tasty. I’ll save my sushi for my Houston places, but at least it’s an option!

S – The salad was huge; it kept growing as it was eaten. The tuna was ridiculous (see photo), looked perfectly seared and there was plenty of it. I would order this next time.





As for my burger, oh man. The tiny ketchup bottle was so darn cute, it was tempting to take it with me to fill and reuse at the office. I refrained, as stealing isn’t really right. darn. The fries in the cute brown bag… also a good touch. They were crispy and a good thickness, nothing that made them super special but nothing wrong with them either. The burger itself was impressive. Definitely the best I’ve had on my travels so far. The bun was big, but it was light and fluffy so when squished it didn’t take up valuable tummy space. The meat was divine. If it wasn’t fresh ground, I was seriously fooled. It wasn’t seasoned much, but the clean pure taste of beef was all I needed. The toppings were simple, tomato, a slice of lettuce and some pickles if you liked. They were on the side though, so you didn’t have to add a thing. You get to choose your cheese, I chose cheddar and never looked back. I got to the point where I abandoned the fries and started just eating the meat. The downside of travel is no fridge to bring things home, this led to being majorly stuffed, but oh so happy.



















Perhaps I've been far from home for too long. Perhaps I'm just starved for a burger, regardless I was pleasantly surprised by this little gem. Urban Table, I’m sad I didn’t meet you a few weeks ago. I would love to eat at you every week!

40 W Park Pl
Morristown, NJ 07960

Popular posts from this blog

a date night burger

my gut runneth over

more of miss SJL