my gut runneth over

life has taken an odd turn of late. I agreed to traveling for work so it seems I'm living most of the week in a far away place and the short three days between in the good old H. The decision was made in on a high of emotion - desperate times call for desperate measures and all that. In retrospect, it was a gamble that I should not have taken. Perhaps it will lead to some new opportunities but for now, I'm not so sure.

Regardless, it is doing a couple of other things - one, is the spike in airline miles and hotel points that I am accumulating... the other, is the change from barely eating out to basically eating out at every meal. This, in turn, means two more things: one, lots of new fun for the blog and two, lots of calories I'm going to have to struggle to keep off. After this experience is over, I may need to have a 'work out' blog to counteract the 'overeating' blog I'm currently embarking on.

My first quick update in this new vein is going to be at a familiar spot. Petrol Station.

Now, I know, I just went there - and our list has far to many places to be revisiting one so early in the game. But before you click on to another page, hear me out.

Petrol is just a few blocks away, so when you need greasy burger goodness of course you might think to go there. And if you did go there, you might want to step it up a notch and try their Rancor burger. So if you were to try this burger, and you had a burger blog, well you probably should write it up. And here is where we find ourselves.

The burger is a full half pound and comes topped with lettuce, tomato, cheese, bacon and a fried egg. I felt like a gigantor whenever it arrived, the others in our group had stuck with the regular burger (still a half pound though) and even T kept his order simple. C'est la vie! The burger comes with the top off, the better to display the delicious combo of toppings. When I put he top of the burger on, it easily cleared 6 inches. I also began to wonder what had I gotten myself into. I managed to get a few bites in before the whole thing fell apart. The meat just slid right out of the bun. At this point, I broke a cardinal rule of burgerdom and started to hack away at the pile of goodness that was now littering the basket. It looked like a bomb had gone off - cheese and bacon tossed to the side while the meat and veggies piled up on chunks of the bread. I did my stomach proud and pushed through to finish at least the half I started with before calling it quits. I brought the rest home for T's dinner (see I can be nice).

I have to say, that the complete implosion of the burger did disappoint me a bit. Perhaps the sheer volume of things being smashed between the bun just wouldn't allow for it to stick together. The patty seemed to take up a huge portion of this sandwich - the meat to other things ration was almost 50/50 (and they have fluffy buns, so that's saying something). I think they could have flattened the patty a little more and it would have been a tiny bit better. The fried egg definitely added the 'umph' that the burger needed, the downside is that the yolk did get everywhere and added to the mess at the bottom of the burger basket.

I'm not going to try to discuss the finer points of this burger - The Rancor is fabulous 'day after' food and it provides all the things that you need - meaty, cheesy, greasy and plenty of carbs. I can't say that I'm going to put this exact one on the top of my list but I will say that Petrol didn't disappoint.

Popular posts from this blog

a date night burger

Christmas in March?