Oh Branch Water, why did I wait so long?


I don’t even know if Branchwater is on ‘THE’ list, and yes, I’m too lazy to go check right now. But, man, I’m so glad I tried their burger.

We had made plans to hit up BRC with another couple but the lords of burger fate said it wasn’t meant to be. BRC wasn’t open yet for the day (I mean COME on, it was maybe 4:30 on a Saturday) so looking across the street we decided rather than drive further, we’d just test out Branch Water. I’d been there for drinks and had loved the dark inside. It’s decorated in a way that I imagine a classy speakeasy to be, the leather club chairs and rich green wallpaper just smack of dim lit, back room elegance.

They have a good selection of wines, beers and the recently popular ‘mixologist’ drinks. It was a cold night, so I opted for a whisky drink blended with lavender. Can’t say that I regretted that choice. The menu is a bit overwhelming, it just all appears insanely good – bacon wrapped shrimp and grits, texas quail stuffed with foie gras, kobe flat iron steaks and beef shortribs. I wish I had a hollow leg for everything I wanted to try.

The Mr and I decided the burger looked too good to pass up, ‘Kobe burger, house ground with white cheddar and bacon’ sold us. We took the bacon wrapped shrimp and cheese grits as an appetizer and the steak for his main course. However, this isn’t about those items so, I’ll just say, "equally YUM".

The appetizer was delicious so I had eaten more than expected. Thus when the burger came out I had a moment of panic. Could I actually finish it? I decided to give it my best shot. I will say that Kobe beef in a burger tends to mystify me a little. Why use such good beef to grind up and cover in cheese and sauces? Branch Water has given me the reason. Crave does a good job with their Kobe burger but at times I forget that it’s Kobe beef, here, there’s no question.


The patty was thick and very juicy but the bun stood up to the substantial insides nicely. I can’t say much about the bun, and perhaps it’s the only ‘so-so’ thing on the burger. It is a tasty bun, but doesn’t stand out in anyway. There’s an excellent meat to toppings ratio and they serve the house made pickles on the side (which T greatly appreciated). The veggies are crisp and don’t get watery which can lead to that annoying ‘juice dripping down your arm’ when you eat some burgers. It’s good that this one doesn’t do that, I’d hate to try to dab grease off with their nice linen napkins. The bacon had a firm, almost crispy texture and considering they end up bathed in cheese, I’d say they stand out as much as they can. It’s served with a good sized portion of their fries. I love the paper and metal cone they are brought in, tres chic. They weren’t as crispy as I usually like, but they’re fried in something that gives them a really good color (perhaps duck fat?, who knows) and are dusted in the right amount of salt. This isn’t a cheap burger joint, the meal will set you back $15, without any specialty drinks, but I would have to say it’s worth it. It’s a great date location with the dim and quiet interior and a good place to kick back with some drinks after your belly is full.

I would come back here again and again just for the burger, and apparently I’m not the only one. Branch Water was named in Bon Appetite’s top 10 burger spots lists!

STARS: 4.9


Branch Water Tavern
510 Shepherd
Houston, TX 77007

Popular posts from this blog

a date night burger

my gut runneth over

Christmas in March?