Hefley's home of the michael berry burger

I will say that I am more than a little embarrassed... I will leave out how long ago it was that we went to Hefley's just to spare myself some but, it's safe to say that it was around election time. eek.


The Mr and I had heard alot about Helfey's. Michael Berry talks about it a good deal and I've driven past it about a million times. I think the location is adorable and have loved what they did with the old building so I was interested to see the inside. I had come home from work and needed a burger fix. It was actually a little cool outside so, some place with access to open air was also a plus. T and I figured it was time to get it a try.

I really liked the feeling of the place when we walked in, lots of wood, lots of tv's and a low key group of regulars scattered around. It was pretty empty but it was an early week night (Mon or Tues) so it made for a nice break from the normal crowded dinner places. We found a table by the open doors and plopped down in front of the giant tv.

The menu isn't huge, but it does the job. There's some pretty tasty burger options (jalapeno cheddar buns, avocado, shiner bock caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, etc) so it made it hard to choose but I finally made a 'game time decision' to go with the Shiner. The Shiner consists of applewood smoked bacon, provolone cheese, the Shiner Bock caramelized onions and BBQ sauce. I went for the sweet potato fries and T went for the regular. Speaking of T, he got the Almo burger, but since I don't remember trying it or even if he let me try it (*ahem*) I will not write much about it; other than it was gone pretty fast.

My burger came out hot despite the outside cold and I quickly tore into both it and the fries.

The fries were tasty but not something I'm going to rant or rave about. They had the right amount of salt for sweet potato fries and were pleasantly crispy. Overall a good side dish but nothing to go in for on their own.

The burger was a little well done for my taste but the fixings on the Shiner helped keep it from being to dry. The bacon was crispy and the cheese had melted nicely. Nothing ruins a good burger more than an unmelted piece of cheese! I could have used a tiny bit more bbq sauce but it's not worth really complaining about. The bun held up very well through the end of the burger without being tough. Their burgers aren't those huge seven inch tall monstrosities that you see these days. They're thin enough that if you try, you can take a bite of everything all at once.
The reason why I mention that, is so I don't feel so bad that I actually ate my entire burger right then.

Hefley's is no gourmet shop, but when you want a tasty burger, a cold beer and some laid back time you won't go wrong!

Stars: 3.9



Hefley's
138 W Gray St
Houston, TX 77019

Popular posts from this blog

a date night burger

my gut runneth over

more of miss SJL