the greatest...

Things have been a little crazy as of late. For some reason grubbing on the next burger has just slipped my mind. (shocking, I know)
Never fear- here’s a hodgepodge of randomness to keep you entertained.

Eat THIS not THAT

This site is just terrifying when you go through the numbers. I mean, 53 grams of fat in just the BURGER? Geez, talk about making me sad! And poor Chili’s, their #1 worst burger is really tasty (actually anything in avocado ranch is really tasty) but I’ll be avoiding it in the future. Unless it’s my last meal or something so I won’t have to regret it for very long.

On one of those lazy days where nothing gets accomplished, other than switching from the bed to the couch, T and I stumbled across a food tv show ‘Insane Food Challenges’. As we were intrigued by the possibility of watching gluttony we left it on and discovered…

Denny’s Beer Barrel Pub


This place is RIDICLOUS, it’s entire purpose (other than providing good burgers and beer) seems to be to create the largest burgers possible and then challenge customers to stuff their guts. It started with a ‘small’ 2lb burger challenge and has since grown to include burgers on the ‘Challenge’ menu up to 25lbs! And if you want a little burger goodness for a special event: try the ‘main event’ 123 LBS of burger heaven. (no, I’m not kidding)
Also, if you’re ever there- check out the selection of wing sauces… pretty impressive.

Another ‘food challenge’ that I happened to find..
The sleeping cow – 9lbs of steak, French fries and a mushroom sauce…it’s in Puerto Rico but worth trying if you are ever there. And hungry.
Video of the challenge


And a few late additions to the burger list:
The Counter on Washington has recently opened (finally!) so we’ll make stopping by there.
Lucky Burger on Richmond

Finally just a short snippet of news to cover the politic side of things…

Forbes apparently just announced that Michelle Obama is the ‘most powerful woman in the world’. WHAT?
Can someone explain that to me?

She tops the likes of Oprah, who has created basically a universe for her name and brand and any number of other business owners. She beats out all the pop icons who while not ‘powerful’ in my mind, have the ability to influence the younger generations in a way that is unfathomable. But yet, when Forbes thought ‘most powerful’, they went to a woman who’s greatest claim to fame is that she’s currently married to the president.

Think about that.

I’m not saying that she’s not smart, or not educated or could not possibly run a fabulous business. (I have my own opinions on this but it’s not the point)…What I want to be clear on is the two fold problem I have with the message that is being sent by such a choice.

1. That you don’t have to ‘do’ anything to be powerful. You don’t have to create something, or lead a group or make a huge difference. Oh you can make lots of money, but you’re celebrity alone will make up for all the shortcomings you may have in other areas.
2. As a woman, the greatest thing you can do is marry the right person.
Now, from what I understand Michelle had a career before the 2008 election. And I also understand that she was a pretty ‘good’ lawyer (political and personal beliefs aside). But let’s be clear, if she was still in Chicago ‘being a good lawyer’ there is no way she’d even crack the top 100.

Perhaps it’s a sign of the times. We’ve become obsessed with celebrities, with fame and glitz of a life many of us will never know. It’s a sad statement about our future though that we can no longer see the difference between someone who works hard and earns their powerful influence, and those that simply do nothing but bask in the glory of the praise.

To me, the most ‘powerful’ people out there are those that do small things every day that make a difference. Taking care of the sick, going across the ocean to spend time and every dollar they have to build a school and teach others how to better their lives. The impact those people have is the most powerful thing in the world.

Popular posts from this blog

a date night burger

my gut runneth over

Christmas in March?