burger adventure round 1

So after a fun night with the friends @ C &V’s wedding party I was in desperate need of some burger goodness. T and I went to church and left discussing where we should try first. As we went through the list I’d worked so hard to come up with, I realized – there’s so many more than 30 places… needless to say, our first burger binge isn’t even on my list.

Pappa’s Burgers is over by the galleria so it’s far from our usual stomping grounds (yes, I’m an inside the loop nerd. Anything past 610 feels like it’s SOOO far away.) but since it was a short distance from the church it become our destination.

In the spirit of the task, I kept it simple. I ordered just their basic bacon cheeseburger. Topped with lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles and a healthy slice of cheddar it was just what I needed after the night of fun. We took a seat in front of the large TV to watch the ‘stros and wait for order.

It arrived wrapped in butcher paper and served with a good portion of fries.


First the fries: (because I really am that obsessed with them) They were skin on and perfectly seasoned. I like my fries with a good supply of pepper and these definitely had that. There were a few undercooked ones (for my taste) in the batch, but that’s to be expected. The smaller ones had a crisp to rival McDonalds. I got to the point where I couldn’t stop myself towards the end, I kept picking the smaller ones thinking ‘oh, it’s less than a larger fry’ and that might work- if I hadn’t eaten 20,000 of them. This led to me and the mr. discussing various ways of preventing yourself from continuing to eat long past the point of being full: dumping drinks on your plate, dumping the salt shaker….but I digress.

And now for the main attraction: The burger was huge so it was hard to take a properly balanced bite. I don’t want to get into how this sounds, but the reality is that it was just a little big to get my mouth around. Of course, T didn’t have any problems with his. The patty showed signs of good seasoning (visible pepper flakes are again a plus) but while it was peppered enough, it seemed to lack something. The bacon slices maintained their crispness at least halfway through the burger, which I really enjoyed (nothing is worse than soggy bacon). The veggies were mostly in a nice balance – large but not overwhelming tomato slices, a good number of pickles, the lettuce was a bit much perhaps it’s hard when using shredded lettuce to get the right amount. The cheese was perfectly melted and kept the bacon, patty and bread melded together nicely.


The décor is roadhouse/diner/comfy/casual. It’s a clean place with really friendly service; I don’t think my glass ever got less than halfway full (which is nice for a burger joint) and any trash on the table was removed quickly.

The bacon cheeseburger combo will knock you back around $11 bucks, without a drink. It’s a huge portion of food though, so I didn’t feel like it was too atrocious. We were in and out in less than an hour and that’s during a fairly busy time.

It’s not the best burger I’ve had, but it’s far from the worst.

A good solid effort by Pappa’s Burger!

Stars: 3.5

5815 Westheimer Road
Houston, TX 77057-5616
(713) 975-6082

Popular posts from this blog

a date night burger

my gut runneth over

Christmas in March?