budgets and how little i like them

So I think I’m normal.

Or close to it at least – I have bills that I pay, student loans I have to keep up with…but then there’s all the fun stuff that I WANT to pay for. Trips, good food, fun outfits…the things that bring a smile to your face (vs. the sweat to your brow the bills coming close does…)

But I’m realistic. I can’t run up expenses beyond what is required – things are uncertain in this nation so it’s best to keep things close to home and save, save, save. And even if it wasn’t uncertain in the broad sense, I’m young- who knows where things will be in the future – kids, a new home, a wrecked car and it makes sense to prepare for those things.

So when I see things like this: Obamas fundraising spree costs 2M

I just get a little riled up.

I mean COME ON. I get it, he’s the president and we (the American public) must pay for his security and travel…or rather the 53% of us that DO pay taxes. But to go on a campaign trip for others, who also go against the majority views on things…well, that’s a BIT much.

First michelle goes and has herself a ‘lady like’ vacation while we foot the bill of her security, etc… and now this. It simply spits in the face of those of us who are working hard and trying to be responsible…all the while our ‘commander in chief’ is spending more time commanding use of our tax dollars than doing anything that even resembles taking care of America.

I suppose at some point things will change- or we’ll get so used to the stories it will become background noise. I feel so much like the frog in the parable that gets thrown in a pot of cool water on the stove, and simply doesn’t notice as the heat is turned up until he dies. Our nation has been on a slow slide for awhile, but the entire time it’s been orchestrated by those in power to lull us into a sense of complacency. We’ve given up rights and freedoms one small step at a time and we’ve yet to have a total wake up to how far we’ve come.

Take Nancy Pelosi’s fire storm from this week – she wants to investigate those who OPPOSE the mosque. Now doesn’t that just sound, at first blush, well – not as bad as it used to… I mean it’s the people who use the mosque’s right to religious freedom, right? Well, maybe it is- but it’s our first amendment right to say whatever we want. With her one well timed comment (or ill timed depending on who you talk to) she’s started people thinking of violating or giving up first amendment rights.

We’re slowly beginning to entertain thoughts of giving up our rights bit-by-bit and once we do that…well… it won’t matter how well we budget we won’t have the right to buy what we want or take those trips.

Popular posts from this blog

a date night burger

my gut runneth over

Christmas in March?