food on the brain

I have been on a huge eating bad kick recently. I usually try to keep it good and healthy for the most part, although I do enjoy my fair share of fried foods (and other unhealthy things! but recently I've been veering into uncharted territory- burgers and fries for lunch, pizza for dinner... It's getting out of hand. I'd promised myself I would 'be good' this week, and had been good until last night.

When we went to BRC gastropub...

It was a good friend's birthday so when I heard that we were going, I'll admit I wasn't super stoked at first.
I'd heard it was crowd, obnoxious and nothing special.
I'd also heard that it was amazing.

Parking was a pain, as everything close to Washingon is...walking in, was like walking into a wall of sound. It was loud and harsh, the acoustics are just terrible- concrete floors, low flat ceilings and nothing to cushion the sound. The deco was really fun though- dark woods, bold red damask wallpaper. I told the H that I wanted our dining room to look like this.

but the food.... oh, the food!
We started with the cheddar biscuits with bacon jelly. Now if you know me, bacon ANYTHING gets me excited and this was no exception. The biscuits were a little overdone but once you slathered some of that smokey semi-sweet jelly, well it was just about heaven. The table also had the peminto cheese dip, which while I don't like peminto cheese, this was really good. It's heated and ends up being a whipped consistancy that makes for a perfect dip.
The main dishes were even more impressive, I tried to chicken fried steak sandwhich... yum-o. The steak was prefect, the crust was this awesome level of crunch and flavor. I ended up taking the bun off so I could just eat the middle. The gravy needed a little more pepper for my taste, but that was easy to fix. I tried just about everything else that was on the table... the grilled cheese with pulled short ribs (to DIE for) and the brisket sandwich (a cheesy, ooey deliscous mess) were to good for words. The twice fried fries were tasty but some leaned toward the overcooked side, which did help me from overeating them. I'll definitely get the brisket the next time I go... along with trying one of the salads, they were huge and looked amazing.

I'm no food critic, and I'm fairly certain some people have had other experiences at BRC but I'll definitely be back.

Popular posts from this blog

a date night burger

my gut runneth over

more of miss SJL