what's an 'afternoon'?

The older I get the more I begin to feel like afternoon is the forgotten time. Since I never get to be outside really in the afternoon anymore, I wonder what it’s like out there… unicorns, magic beans?

I don’t even have a window, so that only helps the mystery- afternoon is only passed as a few numbers on my computer monitor that pass by with nary a variation from the other 8 or so hours I spend stuck at this folding table called my desk. I remember being so excited when 3pm would roll around, it signified the ‘end of the work day’ when you’re a kid and even though you’d spent what felt like the WHOLE day in class, you still had plenty of sun shine to explore, run around and basically make a nuisance of yourself. Now, 3pm is nothing more than another time to try to avoid the break room snacks and remain focused on some mundane task that is overly urgent.

I bet the people outside in the early afternoon don’t give it a second thought to how precious those hours are- the window between lunch and dinner when the majority of the world is forced to be chained to an inside task instead of out getting their daily dose of vitamin D. All those college kids take note: don’t sleep your afternoons away! There’s plenty of time to do that later in life when you’re working for a living (I’m kidding… but only marginally).

I wonder if time moves by more slowly on a weekday afternoon than on the weekend?
I think on the weekends they move by extra fast. I feel like I get up early enough, get the chores/housework/car stuff/gym taken care of… and then it’s 5pm again.

Whatever happened to time to just sit in the grass and watch clouds? …Maybe then I could find those unicorns…

Popular posts from this blog

a date night burger

my gut runneth over

more of miss SJL